Larry,
Where do I send you my C.Vitae? :-)

Sometimes you just don’t have a way out, as John Yeung wrote. In our case,
management decided about seven years ago go the HP/Oracle/SAP route, dumping
our AS/400 (it was a 720!) and our in-house developed software. In 2006 they
went thru the ASAP (Accelerated SAP) way, and we were supposed to be up and
running in six months. We went into production almost FOUR years later, with
huge cost overruns (as an example, the hardware had to upgraded at least
three times, and new servers added between 2006 and 2009), a lot of data
issues and other problems that continue to this day.

Meanwhile, back in 2006 it was decided to buy a 520, as our 720 (V4R5) was
at the end of its life. I had been recently hired as a full time employee
and it was suggested that I gave my coworkers some classes about SQL, V5R3
improvements, etc. Some of my coworkers’ attitudes were quite interesting:

1. ILE is too complex. Using *ENTRY and PLIST is a lot easier.
2. /FREE is very complicated. I prefer using my old RPG III syntax (not
even EVAL here).
3. I have been working with SEU for about 20 years. I don’t need WDSc.
4. SQL is too complicated (later on, when proposing a view for showing a
data in a particular way, I even had a project leader tell me, quite
literally: “Do that with a RPG program, I don’t really trust all that new
stuff (SQL)” ).

What happened? In 2007 our country went thru a currency conversion
(everything from 2008 onwards was to be divided by 1000). We had to change a
lot of programs and data. And, of course, the data conversion was made with
SQL and, for the RPG programs, the new routines were made under ILE… Even
our 520 is still up and running, being used as BI machine, accessing SAP
data and processing it with SQL.

Although none of my colleagues (with one exception, who has already left the
company) decided to change its ways, I was fortunate to be given a free
reign (?) (due to my productivity, if I may say so), so I run WDSc in my PC,
program using ILE, SQL, /free, etc. and even have some web apps up and
running for internal use (if I ever have the time, will try again another
shot to Python, just for kicks).
So it is not always up to you if you can step up to “newer” technologies or
not. Sometimes work (and life) gets in the way. That is maybe the reason I
don’t try to be critical when I heard of someone who still works in RPG/III
or even S/36. You just never know…
Best Regards,

Luis Rodriguez