Hi,

Vern
Not sure if it will add to your investigation, but you might look at the special report I wrote on Open Access - it was in the April 2011 issue of System i News. Admittedly, it was sponsored, but I was given full freedom to be even-handed in my presentation of the 3 main WORKSTN-type handlers vendors. I also present my experience writing a DISK-type handler. I'm open to any private conversation on this, as well.

Your article has been helpful. And I am pretty much convinced that these products are a good modernization program for those who do not want to rewrite RPG program logic. You can, conceivably get a number of advantages at a maybe reasonable cost.

1) initial light modernization on the fly (without losing green screen options)

2) PC integration .. email, Word, Google Maps, Excel etc. immediately available as if you were in a PC program (with some programming
calls)

3) More advanced modernization using the tools of the vendor (which vary widely in concept and implementation)

4) Application enhancement .. including integrating additional data sources, creating graphs and tables, etc.

However, Tom was referring to a performance hit he was getting, one that was too great a cost. Even one second would be a major concern. This could have been an early implementation with bugs or difficulties, or it could be an inherent architectural bottleneck of adding the output layer. (Presumably ASP.NET refers to the ASNA product.) So this becomes the first question. The same question would apply to any product, in the context of workstation IO, where screen response time is critical.

One of the big advantages of the newer AS/400s over the old SSP 5363s is that we are much closer to immediate response on screen I/O. And on short processing stuff in between screens (like reports). And that is something that we do not want to lose.

The ASNA product is new, not in the field, and they offer an online proof-of-concept using their AS400 online, but then you can not tell the source of a delay. Now ASNA has a rich techie heritage going back to the 36, for awhile it looked like they were pushing Microsoft a bit too hard for my tastes, the new Open Access product (Wings) seems to correct that problem, in that it does not grumble that you have and like the iSeries.

Thanks, Joe for the explanation of why the handlers have to be quite proprietary. It is surely understandable, unless open source handlers some how get used in some product. My point was more simply about the limitation of the venders liking to use the word non-proprietary in the context of their products. That is true for parts of their implementation (e.g. Profound having you create enhanced DDS source, which I understand is an IBM programming feature on 6.1. Or ASNA encouraging various work in Visual Studio, where programming skills are shared with a large base.) However there is nothing non-proprietary about the basic concept. So a lot of your investment of time and energy is going to be linked to a specific company.

Steven Spencer
Queens, NY