Steven

Not sure if it will add to your investigation, but you might look at the special report I wrote on Open Access - it was in the April 2011 issue of System i News. Admittedly, it was sponsored, but I was given full freedom to be even-handed in my presentation of the 3 main WORKSTN-type handlers vendors. I also present my experience writing a DISK-type handler.

I'm open to any private conversation on this, as well.

HTH
Vern