On 27-May-2011 11:39 , Bryce Martin wrote:
"Not to dismiss however that the use of SQL for INSERT may have
allowed for more efficiency in a coding task, esp. had the RLA update
logic already existed."

I don't really understand what you're saying here.... Not sure what
coding efficiency you could be referring to...

Should have been left unstated... kind of an apology for any SQL but non-RPG folks that might have added that code. While more efficient to be processed as RLA, in my experience those who know SQL tend to be quicker [i.e. more efficient] at adding SQL to an RPG source than making changes so the native I\O happens in the RPG regardless that the RPG might already be doing native I\O. And an issue from the another angle, in my experience many who know RPG but not so much the SQL often leave native I\O declarations [the F-specs] in the program even though they had changed to use nothing but SQL, and for lack of USROPN, the file gets opened every time the program runs.

Regards, Chuck