I am just not sure about all this SQL performance arguments. There is a
difference mostly occurring I think because IBM continues to use a call
model instead of ILE call model but I wonder how much difference it really
makes.

We have about 70 trigger service programs in use daily written 100% in
ILE/RPG using 100% SQL for I/O being fired millions of times everyday but
our users have not reported any difference in performance since we turned
then on.

Everyone of these service program is making at least 2 or 3 different single
record fetches with every call in addition to insert and updates. (We are
taking data from a unnormalized DDS described system and maintaining a
normalized DDL defined database).

The one big issue that we continue to have is that IBM will not update an
access plan if a service program is in use so the system recalculates an
access plan for an object but can't get it updated because of others using
the service program. This is a royal pain.

The other issue we continue to struggle with is locks on objects being
referenced by Referential Integrity but performance is not issue.