Oh. Sorry, as I said, I had not been following. I think you had said she was a programming lead or some such... yada yada. Glad it's not like what I mentioned. Not sure then how she can make demands that you list these things, etc. A shame in any case.

By the way, my prior message was absolutely _not_ intended to degrade Asians. My wife is a green-card holding Chinese citizens.. And my favorite (other?) country is over there. If anything, I admire their cultures above that which I see here.

"sjl" <sjl_abc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dennis -

As I alluded in my original post, this is basically an argument with
one
person - a /new/ developer in our shop who once worked for JDE, and who
is
of the opinion that there is no need to use anything but RPG/400 to
write
code...

On the other hand, there are at least 10 other developers here that
disagree
with her philosophy, and since we already have a substantial amount of
existing RPGIV code mixed in with OPM code in the shop, I don't think
she
will be able to muster much support for her position.

In fact, I don't even know why she is pushing so hard when her argument
is
clearly untenable.

- sjl

Dennis wrote:
I haven't been following this thread as closely as I might have,
but I don't think the original poster has chimed in about
reasons for this pushback.

Though I am loathe to support such pushback, I have seen
situations where it may seem to make sense. In particular,
a programming farm on the Asian continent does all the
programming work for a particular set of pharmaceutical companies.

These people know RPG/400 to some extent, and ILE not at all.
The company has a position that introoduction of ILE to that
source set introduces a wealth of support issues.

Instantly, the set of individuals who can support a particular change
is reduced until training occurs - and this particular organization
has no desire to retrain. They are able to retain their staff
and keep things interesting by double-teaming their responsibilities.

While Roji may be on the PHP and RPG team,
Koko may be on the Java and RPG team.

list