Hmmm...

<snip>
If I understand her correctly, her argument is that as a JDE shop that we
should NOT be using RPGIV at all, and that we should be writing /all/ code
in RPG/400. I don't necessarily disagree, in the case of simple mods to an
existing JDE program, but I would argue that /all/ new development should be
done in free-form RPGIV.
</snip>

Interesting that YOU have to defend what IBM has decided is the way forward for RPG and the community that uses it. Maybe you could get George Farr on the phone for her to explain why IBM have spent so much time and money developing and enhancing the language she refuses to uses each day.

http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/authors/George-Farr/

<snip>
she wants me to present five compelling reasons to justify the use of RPGIV, particularly free-form RPGIV code.
</snip>

1. Free format code is easier and quicker to read/write/maintain than fixed format code.

2. Use of sub-procedures and modules provide the level of modularization required for modern application designs.

3. Use of service programs allow the ability to architect very fast and elegant solutions.

3. ILE RPG gains access to resources (APIs, MI Built-ins, C run-time library functions) previously only available to languages like C.

4. Unless you develop in ILE RPG you will struggle to embrace new technologies because your developer base lacks the skills to take advantage of what is currently on offer. This will only get worse over time.

5. You can attract modern-thinking and younger developers. (would a developer currently writing free-form ILE RPG on a 6.1 box, or a Grad fresh from college even think of working there unless compelled to?)

Unless you embrace ILE RPG you are being left behind. Your developers are stagnating. You are sending a very poor message to them - "We don't want to develop your skills. You are not important to us!"

Also, without constantly enhancing the skills of your developer pool you risk becoming ISV-dependent. This is where an ISV consultant carries more weight in your IT department than your own developers and consultants. This is great for the ISV but not always good for your department or your business. But frankly, anybody who requires justification to use ILE RPG so many years after its introduction will probably be immune to your arguments/pleas.

If you win this argument you may be able to bundle it with an upgrade to V5R1. :-)

Cheers, and good luck!!!

Larry Ducie