Hi Larry,

What I am referring to is the lack of collaboration between various Open
Source projects on IBM I and also the lack of collaboration between smaller
ISV’s in general.

When I see how my Core API is meet (my core API just extends CGIDEV2 with
about 80-90 new subprocedures that may overlap even your XMLi) in the IBM I
community nobody of the “Kings of other projects” even bother to download
and try it – because “Think” if there were some areas where it worked
smarter, better or faster. So it is safer to write “I don’t know it”
signaling – “I don’t bother at all”.

I have recently presented my Application Framework for about 20 small IBM I
ISV’s – it was like talking to a stone wall, no enthusiasm at all, no
questions, no nothing. Well to be frank – it didn’t actually solve the problem
they were seeking – being – how to get money into their bank account without
getting their … out of the sofa.

I have also presented my framework for a group of young javascript front-end
programmers with no knowledge of IBM I (most uses MS .NET or PHP on the
servers ide) and there I was meet with collaborative enthusiasm and even
hard core top experts on EXT JS has evaluated the ideas and what came back
was words as “impressive”, “smart”, “good work”, “do it really talk JSON as
standard” etc.

It seems to me, that there is a mental fatigue in the brains of RPG
programmers, maybe created by the long psychological server trench warfare
between MS and IBM “as a platform” that actually doesn’t exist anymore or
maybe created by the fact, that we are in a middle of a generation and
paradigm shift from where “one programmer can do and should know it all” to
a more “collaborative” paradigm based on loosely and task specific connected
teams where “normal” boundaries like “organization, country etc.” doesn’t
exists.

This is in fact what the young people has learned in school during their
education – they have one team working to solve this problem in mathematics
and an hour later they has to go into another team to analyze another task in
poetry.

And they doesn’t take the strategic bait with 99,995% uptime or other
marketing stunts on IBM POWER 5/6/7, who cares about if the company server
is down, if you just have made the most glamour iPhone App in HTML5?

What they care about is how fast they can make or get the boring stuff
running on the server delivered.

And changing them from an YP to an YIP is the actual challenge IBM is facing
if they want to keep up on IBM I as a platform – not trying to learn 50+
programmers new tricks and to create astonishing new apps – WE are just to
old! (Most of us ;-) )