On 3/20/2011 8:25 PM, Vern Hamberg wrote:
As to side effects - actually, the RPG engine is protecting you pretty
well there, I believe. All the handler does is set some values that the
RPG engine uses.

I don't think I was explaining myself very well. A CHAIN can only do one thing - read the database. It cannot affect anything else. Without a trigger or a handler, a CHAIN can never affect anything else. Thus, if I need to debug a situation where a file is getting updated, I don't have to worry about any program that only CHAINs to files... until I start adding handlers. Because now, every program that CHAINs to a file that has a handler can now potentially be updating anything, because now it is in effect calling another program. Suddenly my analysis of what used to be a read-only program now changes to having to check the handler as well.

That's not necessarily horrible, and I have to do the same thing for program calls, but at least with a CALL I know it's a CALL! With a handler, I have to check the F-spec to make sure it doesn't have a handler attached.

Minor, sure, but one more thing to check. Is that a little clearer?

Joe