From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 6:43 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Adoption of RPG OA

Sam

There are 3 vendors of 5250 modernization tools that have handlers -

http://www.looksoftware.com/products/deployment/lookserver-open-access.aspx
http://www.profoundui.com/
http://www.asna.com/en/Products/Wings

ASNA is the most recent, so I can't speak to who is using their Wings handler - there's a 2-page add in March systemiNews. I've seen testimonials on the Profound Logic site, similarly on looksoftware's site.

I have a complete handler for DISK files. It still needs some testing but does it all.

Adoption is a tough sell - one licensing issue is worse, I think, than the pricing - it is not a keyed product, therefore, it can't be acquired with the 70-day trial. I've had one of our customers say that this is a no-go situation, because they want to try a product or technology on their own systems. We can provide an LPAR for them to work on, but it's not THEIRS.

The 3 vendors above each have different solutions to this problem. I can say that IBM is looking very closely at this and working on making a trial available.

It does seem slow. But we see Larry Ducie here doing his own work, as well as Peter Clifford in these lists. We shall see, right?

Vern