I have a utility that simulates this. It allows you to store up to 10
pointers and retrieve them later in another program. If there is
nothing saved in a location it returns null.

Albert

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting
Inc. <mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From the RPGIV reference in the page concerning OPTIONS(*NOPASS *OMIT ... I find

When OPTIONS(*NOPASS) is specified on a definition specification, the parameter does not have to be passed on the call. Any parameters following that specification must also have *NOPASS specified. When the parameter is not passed to a program or procedure, the called program or procedure will simply function as if the parameter list did not include that parameter. If the unpassed parameter is accessed in the called program or procedure, unpredictable results will occur.

So it says if the unpassed parameter is accessed unpredictable results will occur.  It doesn't say anything about how you access the unpassed parameter, just that if you do the results are unpredictable.  Just because it doesn't specifically mention the %addr() builtin, doesn't mean that you can use it.  No built-in's or op codes are specifically mentioned.

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: -----
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Morgan, Paul"
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 03/09/2011 09:34AM
Subject: RE: Calling similiar (overloaded) procedure that has *nopass *omit in  the parameter

I'm curious where in the V5R4 documentation it mentions that using %addr() on a *NOPASS parameter is unreliable?  With my testing on program subprocedures it works.  Maybe with further testing it won't.  Maybe it won't work with a service program procedure.  The RPG documentation (reference and user guide) talks about using %addr() on an *OMIT parameter but no mention of results on a *NOPASS parameter.

Paul Morgan

Principal Programmer Analyst
IT Supply Chain/Replenishment