I didn't se Paul questioning Barbara's knowledge/expertise. (Maybe I missed that.) I _did_ see him ask a valid question about where this may be documented. One could argue, I suppose that we should 'just know,' but I, for one, would disagree in this case since rules have changed to a point.

"Scott Klement" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi Paul,

Here's a program that should demonstrate the problem. Not sure why
you're arguing the point (do you really think you know more about this
than the lead developer of the RPG compiler?!) but I've known about
this
for QUITE a long time (longer even than ILE has existed) and I can
vouch
for her.

But, anyway... try this program, you will (most likely) see the
problem:

H DFTACTGRP(*NO)

D myProc PR
D parm1 10a
D parm2 10a options(*nopass)

D one s 10a inz('blah')
D two s 10a inz('blah')
/free
// For this call, %ADDR() will PROBABLY (but not guaranteed)
// work, because nothing in the parm stack has been used yet.

myProc(one);

// This call passes both parameters, so will work.

myProc(one: two);

// This call will PROBABLY (but not guaranteed) show that
// only one parm was passed, but %addr(parm2) won't be null.

myProc(one);

return;
/end-free

P myProc B
D PI
D parm1 10a
D parm2 10a options(*nopass)
D count s 10i 0
D msg s 52a
/free
count = %parms();
msg = 'You passed ' + %char(count) + ' parms.';
dsply msg;

if %addr(parm1) = *null;
dsply ('parm1 = *NULL');
else;
dsply ('parm1 <> *NULL');
endif;

if %addr(parm2) = *null;
dsply ('parm2 = *NULL');
else;
dsply ('parm2 <> *NULL');
endif;
/end-free
P E

When I call this, I get:

CALL MYPGM
DSPLY You passed 1 parms.
DSPLY parm1 <> *NULL
DSPLY parm2 = *NULL
DSPLY You passed 2 parms.
DSPLY parm1 <> *NULL
DSPLY parm2 <> *NULL
DSPLY You passed 1 parms.
DSPLY parm1 <> *NULL
DSPLY parm2 <> *NULL

Note that on the final call, it says you've passed only 1 parameter
(which makes sense, since that's what the code does) but parm2<>*NULL.