Yes, definitely time to hear what Barbara has to say! You're right it looks like some sort of parameter stack thing.

Joe

On Feb 19, 2011, at 1:00 PM, rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Okay, for now the workaround is to add the prototype. I'm going to wait
for Barbara to comment if she has a moment, and go from there.
I'm really looking forward to hearing Barbara's take on it. It has to be something really weird to cause an issue like this.

Just to add to the symptoms ... I was interested to see if it was actually spaces being assigned or if the assignment was incorrect. So I added inz('Go away!') to the tempvar definition and sure enough it gets overwritten by spaces.

Then just for the hell of it I plugged in VALUE instead of CONST - with value it works correctly even without the protos.

Next I added a variable to DoProc (initialized to 'Something') and reinstated the CONST to see if the use of a constant had anything to do with it - it doesn't as it turns out. I added _two_ calls to MyProc each time specifying the something variable - so now there are three calls in total but look at the results:

DSPLY [ ]
DSPLY [[ ]
DSPLY [[[ ]

Isn't that fun!! Some weird stack positioning error or something I guess. I'm tempted to find out what happens if I call it 10 times or so but I should do some real work.

Jon Paris