Mark Murphy:

The LDA is the dynamic type of RPG. Really? I don't think I heard anyone saying that the LDA is bad because you can drop anything you want into it.

Looking at your post again, Mark, I realized I wasn't clear about something. My comment was this: "dynamic typing is the LDA of programming languages". If you re-read that in context I hope you'll see that what I meant is that it's often used as a quick and dirty shortcut. Yes, the LDA can be used properly, and so can dynamic typing, but both are potentially very dangerous tools.

Static typing at least helps prevents some of the more egregious mistakes programmers make, such as passing a string where a number is meant to go.

I know you may not entirely agree with my opinion on typing, but I wasn't specifically trying to say that the LDA is the same as a dynamic type. I was saying that someone who warns against the LDA as a dangerous programming technique should also make a similar warning about dynamic typing, which has at least as many potential pitfalls as the LDA.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments. I just wanted to try to be clear.

Joe