Many thanks for this Jon. I knew we had to be missing something, and it was the stateInfo pointer that was the key point we'd overlooked.

We've now done some testing with this and can confirm that if we store a handle or other control structure in the stateInfo area when opening a file, that handle is passed back for each operation on the corresponding file.

Problem solved!

Pete