Michael

Look at Jon Paris' posts in this thread about consecutive fields - you cannot rely on them being consecutive in RPG, without doing some special handling. Details are in Jon's posts.

Vern

On 12/7/2010 7:03 AM, Schutte, Michael D wrote:
Because you have now defined lcust1 - lcust10 twice. Once in the extDS and once in the DS. If lcust1 - lcust10 are in the file consecutively, then you could change to do this...

D lmit E DS
D custarr 1 100 Dim(10)

Custarr would start from where lcust1 starts in the file.

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Rusling
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 7:22 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Loading an array from file vs external described data structure.

This is puzzling, to me.

When I use an F-spec for the file named lmit, I can auto-load an array thus -

flmit if e k disk
d myds ds
d custarrdata
d lcust1 overlay(custarrdata)
d lcust2 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d lcust3 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d lcust4 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d lcust5 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d lcust6 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d lcust7 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d lcust8 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d lcust9 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d lcus10 overlay(custarrdata:*next)
d custarr overlay(custarrdata)
d dim(10) like(lcust1)

but when I remove the F-specand c/ to an external desc data struc it doesn't work

d lmitds e ds extname(lmit)

*RNF3315 20 10 The Name entry is already defined on a Definition
Specification; defaults to blanks.
*RNF7030 30 1 The name or indicator is not defined.
*RNF7301 30 1 Position of subfield is greater than length of data
structure; specification ignored.

Nothing else changed, only changed from an F-spec to ext desc data struc ? ?

Anyone have any explanation for this or run across this before?

Tia

John B