Jon,

I've always been interested in this 'performance penalty' of which IBM
speaks (OK, I've not *always* been interested in it - that would make me a
little *too* geeky!).

I typically code new RPG programs from a template which includes the above
copybook, and I've never noticed any performance hit. I assume the hit would
simply be at startup, where it has to call e.g. MATPGMNM or its equivalent
to get the program library etc. The only ones I could see that might have to
be re-resolved at runtime would be ExcpData, ExcpID and FileErr, and they'd
only be updated when an error occurs (at which point there would be all
sorts of other related performance hits due to exception handling, wouldn't
there).

I admit that I haven't run any tests on this, but my experience has been
that there isn't a noticeable problem with defining a 'full' PSDS...

Rory