You could use XML. Just have a character string and pass the XML statement
created in Java. If you are passing a lot of parameters or variable
parameters, much better solution.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc. <
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Such as?

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: -----
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: dmosley@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 11/30/2010 05:03PM
Subject: Re: Speaking of best practices, I've got one for anyone
using SQL Stored Procedures to call RPG programs...

Nope, I'm just referring to Stored Procedures. We're not doing anything
with embedded SQL in our java, and have simply relied 100% on
stored procedures, to wrapper around our business logic.

I'm just curious if anyone is doing something different than the same ol'
IN/OUT variables for every parameter to be passed in.

David

David L. Mosley, Jr.
Technical Solutions Architect
Dancik International, Ltd.
2000 CentreGreen Way, Suite 250
Cary, NC 27513

www.dancik.com

Paul Holm <pholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/30/2010 04:34 PM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Speaking of best practices, I've got one for anyone using SQL Stored
Procedures to call RPG programs...

dmosley@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Just wanted to get an idea of how everyone builds thier stored
procedure's
IN/OUT parameters.

Do you build an IN parameter for each and every field you want to pass
in,
or do you do something else?

Thanks
David

David L. Mosley, Jr.
Technical Solutions Architect
Dancik International, Ltd.
2000 CentreGreen Way, Suite 250
Cary, NC 27513

www.dancik.com

SQL versus Stored procedures: The declaration of IN/OUT Parms does
"seem" to be a significant difference. With SP, you have to manually
declare/size each and every parameter then have separate code to
process each and every end user query. With dynamic/prepared SQL you can
enable better reuse/productivity. Best practice: Use PHP/Java based
SQL for most cases where SQL can solve the problem otherwise consider a
stored procedure.

Thanks, Paul Holm

list