Ah, but did you remember to recompile? Been there myself, so just making
sure....

Did you qualify your CALL? Did you verify in debug?

Dennis Lovelady
"Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have
rushed through life trying to save."
-- Will Rogers

Thanks for your reply Dennis
as I replied to Joep

I'm still scratching my head
The field
d Bxwegt s 5 inz('01800')
Is really the value 18.00

I changed the code to
D Bywegt s 7p 2

with the same result RNX0103

Alan Shore
Programmer/Analyst, Direct Response
E:AShore@xxxxxxxx
P:(631) 200-5019
C:(631) 880-8640
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

"Dennis Lovelady"
<iseries@lovelady
.com>
Sent by: "'RPG programming on the IBM i /
rpg400-l-bounces@ System i'" <rpg400-
l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
midrange.com
cc

Subject
11/10/2010 08:42 RE: I thought I knew how %dec
AM worked

Please respond to
RPG programming
on the IBM i /
System i
<rpg400-l@midrang
e.com>

I believe you are trying to put 1800.00 into a field that cannot hold a
value greater than 999.99.

Dennis Lovelady
"Guidelines for Bureaucrats:
(1) When in charge ponder.
(2) When in trouble delegate.
(3) When in doubt mumble."
-- James H. Boren

Like the subject says, I thought I knew how %dec worked Here is my
code

d Bxwegt s 5 inz('01800')
D Bywegt s 5p 2
*-------------------------------------------------
* Stand Alone Fields - BOTTOM
*-------------------------------------------------

/FREE
Bywegt = %dec(Bxwegt: 5: 2);

*inlr = '1';
return;
/END-FREE

Pretty simple and straight forward, but when I run this, I get the
following error message
Message ID . . . . . . : RNX0103 Severity . . . . . . . :
99
Message type . . . . . : Diagnostic
Date sent . . . . . . : 11/10/10 Time sent . . . . . . :
13:00:14
Message . . . . : The target for a numeric operation is too small
hold
the result.
Cause . . . . . : An arithmetic operation resulted in a value which
is
too
large to fit in the target. If this is a numeric expression, the
overflow
could be the result of the calculation of some intermediate result.
Recovery . . . : Either make the target of the operation larger or,
if
in
an expression, choose the precision of the operands in the
expression so
that intermediate value will fit into the intermediate result.

I increased the field Bywegt to 6p 2, with the same result

Am I missing something?
Oh, before I forget (like I almost ALWAYS do) we are at V5r4

As always, any and all answers MUCH appreciated