Since the second parameter is an out parameter. Why not make it a function? You can tell your function to return a table.

Here's a sample of what I previously created.

CREATE FUNCTION MYLIB/GETIMSADJUSTMENTS (
@GLCPY CHAR(3) ,
@IMSCPY CHAR(3),
@UNIT DECIMAL(6, 0) ,
@WEDATE DECIMAL(8, 0),
@ITEM DECIMAL(9,0)
)
RETURNS TABLE (
ITEM DECIMAL(9, 0) ,
ADJUSTMENTQTY DECIMAL(9, 2) ,
ADJUSTMENTS DECIMAL(15, 2)
)
LANGUAGE SQL
SPECIFIC MYLIB/GETIMSADJUSTMENTS
DETERMINISTIC
READS SQL DATA
CALLED ON NULL INPUT
DISALLOW PARALLEL
NOT FENCED
SET OPTION ALWBLK = *ALLREAD ,
ALWCPYDTA = *OPTIMIZE ,
COMMIT = *NONE ,
DECRESULT = (31, 31, 00) ,
DFTRDBCOL = *NONE ,
DYNDFTCOL = *NO ,
DYNUSRPRF = *USER ,
SRTSEQ = *HEX
RETURN
SELECT ITEM, SUM(QTY), SUM(AMT) FROM (
SELECT DJDITM ITEM,
-- If the headers code is negative, then switch the quantity.
SUM(CASE COALESCE(CODUC1,'')
WHEN 'NEGATIVE'
THEN DJDQTY*-1
ELSE DJDEAM
END) QTY,
-- If the headers code is negative, then switch the quantity.
SUM(CASE COALESCE(CODUC1,'')
WHEN 'NEGATIVE'
THEN DJDEAM*-1
ELSE DJDEAM END) AMT
FROM IMSPADJD
JOIN IMSPADJH
ON DJHCONO = DJDCONO
AND DJHCPY = DJDCPY
AND DJHSTR = DJDSTR
AND DJHDTE = DJDDTE
AND DJHTIM = DJDTIM
JOIN IMSPCOD
ON DJHCONO = CODCONO
AND DJHCPY = CODCPY
AND DJHTYP = CODCOD
AND CODCONO = @GLCPY
AND CODCPY = @IMSCPY
AND CODTYP = 'ADJ'
WHERE DJDCONO = @GLCPY
AND DJDCPY = @IMSCPY
AND DJDSTR = @UNIT
AND DJDFCWE = @WEDATE
AND DJDITM = @ITEM
AND DJDSTS = 'P'
AND DJDFCS in ('X', 'B', 'L')
GROUP BY DJDCONO,DJDSTR,DJDFCWE,DJDITM
UNION ALL
-- Subtract the adjustment from quantity and amount
SELECT ADITM1 ITEM, SUM(ADQTY*-1) QTY, SUM(ADAMT*-1) AMT
FROM IMSPI2IIAH
JOIN IMSPI2IIAD USING (AHADJID)
WHERE AHCONO = @GLCPY
AND AHSTR = @UNIT
AND AHSTS = 'P'
AND ADCPY1 = @IMSCPY
AND ADITM1 = @ITEM
AND ADWEDT = @WEDATE
AND ADFCS in ('X', 'B', 'L')
GROUP BY ADWEDT,ADCPY1,ADITM1
UNION ALL
-- Add the adjustment from quantity and amount
SELECT ADITM2 ITEM, SUM(ADQTY) QTY, SUM(ADAMT) AMT
FROM IMSPI2IIAH
JOIN IMSPI2IIAD USING (AHADJID)
WHERE AHCONO = @GLCPY
AND AHSTR = @UNIT
AND AHSTS = 'P'
AND ADCPY2 = @IMSCPY
AND ADITM2 = @ITEM
AND ADWEDT = @WEDATE
AND ADFCS in ('X', 'B', 'L')
GROUP BY ADWEDT,ADCPY2,ADITM2) z GROUP BY ITEM;

Then in any program that I want to access this...

Exec SQL
Select * from TABLE( GETIMSADJUSTMENTS(:Cpy,:IMSCpy,:Unit, :Date, :Item )) z ;

I went this route because as you can see the SQL statement was quite large and it was being repeated in several programs. So I created a function knowing that the access path would be saved with it. I thought about a view, but I wasn't sure if the access path was saved with the view (didn't bother to look it up). But I also overloaded the function by allowing the caller to return all items. So if you left the :Item parm off the select then every item would be returned. Another reason for using a function was that in the future our .Net applications might need to call it.

Michael Schutte