From: "Dennis Lovelady" <iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'"
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/12/2010 07:08 AM
Subject: RE: Astonished by embedded sql
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

My last unbidden response:

DoU SqlCod <> 0;
Exec SQL
Fetch Next from C2 Into :MyFile_DS;
Leave;

I just noticed that LEAVE - the indentation got me.

Correction: Only one row (at most) will be read.

In that case, would be MUCH better off with:
dateChar = %char(someDateField)
Exec SQL
SELECT * FROM myFile
INTO :DS
WHERE myField = :dateChar
Fetch first row only
;

Dennis Lovelady
"A good storyteller is a person who has a good memory and hopes other
people
haven't."
-- Irvin S. Cobb

Now that I've had my coffee:

Each time that the SR is entered, the SQL statement will be prepared,
cursor
will be opened, all matching rows will be fetched (but not to the
intended
structure, methinks), and the cursor will be closed.

Before I had my coffee, some of this wasn't true, so you can thank Mr.
Folger.

How do you break this to the developer? Ummm... "won't work properly"
comes
to mind. Or you could ask the developer what s/he thinks happens when
FETCH is done into a qualified DS. Or you could ask why there's a
global
unqualified DS of the same name in the program (I think there must be
one or
it wouldn't compile, right?)

Dennis Lovelady
"A good scare is worth more to a man than good advice."
-- Ed Howe

It seems to me that this is the equivalent of opening
myfile for each
subroutine call, reading every record in the file then closing
the
file again.

Yes, that's right.

Although I'm not sure about the reading. Is the whole file
read at the
open cursor statement?

No, but it is read in its entirety at the DoU loop. (FETCH does
the
lifting.)

Thanks, Dennis. But if the FETCH was executed more than once, it
wouldn't be read in its entirety a second time, would it?

By the way, I didn't think FETCH into *qualified* DS did
quite what we would hope. Perhaps I am mistaken on that.

I didn't even notice. That's going too far! How do you suggest
breaking
all this to the person who wrote it?
--
This is the RPG programming on the IBM i / System i (RPG400-L)
mailing

list