Hi Charles,

I could flip the statement on it's head - you might have a biased view :-) But the bulk of my work is actually in-house with companies where I am contracted to provide either training or consultancy - so I think I get a fair view across multiple companies, multiple environments. And I have seen the people who don't want to learn and those who do. And I have seen that with Java programmers, PHP programmers, VB programmers etc.

When it comes to books on book shelves remember that you can buy 10(?) books on Visual Basic for every book you can buy on RPG.

And with the hospitals/uniforms (and the mechanics) my point was not about the employer paying, my point was that the uniform (or tools) is a requirement of their employment, not an option.

Regards

Paul Tuohy
ComCon
www.comconadvisor.com www.systemideveloper.com

Charles Wilt wrote:
Paul,

No problem (though David might suggest we take this to NON-TECH )

I think you might have a biased view....after all how many developers
would you see that don't want to invest in their own careers and whose
company also doesn't force the issue. Unless you randomly show up at
doorsteps I'd guess you see few of them. :)

Looking around the offices I've worked at, it seems the non-RPG
developers have more and newer books on their shelves and are more
likely to be involved in various user groups, mailing lists, ect.
Both from the office and from home. Heck there are a dozen RPG
developers here at my current employer...how many have you seen here?

I do agree some see it as a job, others as a career and that does make
a difference. But I think there are more RPG developers who see it as
a job, many of whom are older and perhaps just fell into programming
in one way or another.

As far as Hospital uniforms, at least at both the hospitals my wife
has been out, the cost is borne strictly by the employee; there's no
clothing allowance. For that matter, my wife is and is required to be
certified in her chosen profession. To remain certified, she's
required to accumulate so many continuing education (CE) credits
between renewals. While the hospital has some regular activities that
happen to count toward that CE requirement, the rest have to be gained
via courses paid for by my wife. To top it off, she has to pay a fee
for the renewal.

Another example, auto mechanics...I'm pretty sure you'll find most of
them, even at the dealerships, have to buy their own tools.

Charles