Amazingly, in my 20+ years of RPG programming I have never had to dump an RPG program that was halted with an error. The software I work with is so familiar to me that IF I get an RPG error, I usually know where to look to fix it without much research.

However, I have taken an interim consulting gig with a company that runs BPCS (for reasons other than running their BPCS installation). It is an old version (at least 10 years old) and I have never had any BPCS experience so when an error occurred, I had to start from scratch in figuring out what went wrong.

The statement number in the RPG program doesn't resolve to a valid statement number in the source referenced by the program (It has been converted to ILE RPG). So, when the error occurred, I took the option to dump the RPG program to figure out what went wrong.

The error is: The target for a numeric operation is too small to hold the result. So I know what the problem is. Unfortunately the program isn't kind enough to says: The target (MYFIELD) for a numeric operation is too small to hold the result. So I was hoping to find out what *field* the program was complaining about.

So (this is NOT a BPCS question): How do I determine from the RPG dump which field is too small? Since I cannot reconcile the statement number to the source, I was hoping the dump would illuminate the problem. After looking at the dump, there is so much information I can't sort out where to begin looking.

Suggestions?