CRTBNDRPG (or CRTRPGMOD + CRTPGM) is always an ILE program.

But to me, ILE means using bound calls like you mention.

Charles

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Jerry Adams <Jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Correct me if I'm in error (seriously, it's been known to happen) but I thought in order to be ILE RPG it had to use service programs, methods/calls to other languages (such as C or Java), binding, or such.  That is, a program that was just, to say simply, Read-a-Record and Write-a-Record was *just* RPG IV.  Or is a simple inquiry (data file, display file, some logic, nothing else really) write in IV syntax an ILE program?

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
We're the new liberals of the Republican party.  Can you imagine that?  - Barry Goldwater to Bob Dole, 1996
--
B&W Wholesale
office: 615-995-7024
email:  jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Wilt
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:10 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: [Junk released by Allow List] Re: Convert from free to fixed

Personally, _I_ don't consider it RPG IV code...

Maybe RPGIII+ (yes I made that up)

While it may technically be IV, since it compiles with the RPGIV
compiler... the only thing that makes it so is the spacing!
The syntax and style are pure RPGIII.

In my mind, the RPGIV compiler handles three type of code
RPGIII+  -- RPGIII code run through CVTRPGSRC
RPGIV   -- code using d-specs, long names, and RPGIV only op-codes
like EVAL, IF, WHEN
ILE RPG -- code that uses sub procedures out of service programs.

Heck, there probably ought to be a forth listed
RPGIV+ -- RPGIV code that uses local sub procedures.

Call it a pet peeve....but running your RPGIII code through CVTRPGSRC
doesn't mean you're doing ILE RPG!!!!!

Charles

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Scott Klement