Scott

Allow me to add another benefit of trying what is new in a release. This goes back to v5r2, which I consider a pretty significant watershed in the RPG language. Complex data structures, using a data structure in the result of an I/O operation, *KEY and *INPUT, etc., in defining externally-described data areas and the things that use that, assignment operators like += (maybe along the cute line but useful). V5R1 had the various date/time functions that, to me, so simplified that work - one statement in place of at least 3, at times.

So I think that it behooves one to learn the new things, to improve productivity by writing less code to do the same work, if nothing else.

Vern