We recently upgraded to v6.1 and I'd really like to take advantage of the Qualified keyword on F-specs (which seems to me to be much more meaningful than using Prefix and Rename). However I have found that I tend to define variables like File fields quite a bit. I often have I/O to a file contained within a procedure (such as a master file lookup), but I may need variables throughout the module to be defined like a file field. So I'm left defining a global template data structure to use as the base field definition for me to use LIKE against.

Has anyone else ended up doing the same thing?

I was pondering adding an iRequirement requesting that a filed defined as Qualified would also generate a qualified template data structure (I'm guessing file.format.field). Although at which point LIKE would also have to be enhanced to allow non-Simple qualification.

Thought I'd throw this out for discussion, see if there are any bites.

Kurt Anderson
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
CustomCall Data Systems