Thanks, Stu. I recognized my UI / UQ mistake as soon as (spelled a-f-t-e-r)
I had sent my message. Sorry.

Dennis Lovelady
"A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you actually look forward to the trip."
-- Caskie Stinnett

I think ENQ/DEQ are for queues. The MI instruction I compared to was
FNDINXEN (and INSINXEN and so forth) but I couldn't remember it when I
sent
the post.

Anyhow, I may be accustomed to MI instructions and such but others are
not,
so for the sake of maintainability I stick with "easily understandable"
APIs. That, and I am using *SYSTEM domain indexes so "On a system with
the
QSECURITY system value set to 40 or greater, you must use system APIs
access system-domain user indexes." pertains here.

I just wondered what that object might be. All I did was create a
perfectly
normal fixed-length user index and put entries in it and read them back
out. Been doing it for a long time, but only just now noticed the odd
space
left behind. It struck me as odd that IBM would leave a persistent
space
behind.

Another guy at work here has seen them there (in QTEMP) for years but
never
knew where exactly they originated.

Stu

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 09:18, Dennis Lovelady <iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx>