Thanks, Carel:

I have considered QMHJOBL, and may have to go that route. It's better than
nothing, but I think it lacks the capability of providing a reply to the
message. I still hope for that capability.

The RCVJLMSG program sounds interesting, but I cannot find it after a fair
amount of searching. Not sure about copyright laws pertaining to re-post of
code that was posted before but now cannot be found. Anyway, the problem
sounds like something that was done in a non-upward-compatible way. Usually
not the end of the world to fix, and I'd be happy to help.

Thanks again.

Dennis Lovelady
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just
possible you haven't grasped the situation."
-- Jean Kerr

What about the QMHLJOBL API, that retrieves job log messages.

Vadim Rozen wrote an RPG IV procedure that provides a much better
interface
to the QMHLJOBL API. His procedure, Receive Job Log Messages (RCVJLMSG),
takes care of all the gory details.

It was published in Midrange Computing. Here a link to an artivcle on
it:
http://www.mcpressonline.com/programming/apis/api-power-without-api-
complexi
ty.html

I do not knw if it works correctly on V5R3, because my programme
wrapper I
have occassionally ends up in MSGW status itself. At V5R1 it worked
without
errors. Had no time to check it though.

With regards,
Carel Teijgeler