From: Bryce Martin
its far more expensive to try and do some sort of SaaS solution
written in RPG+CGI hosted on i than it is to have it done in LAMP
on intel hardware.

That's a valid point. IT Jungle recently published an article about the
prohibitive cost of setting up a development box for hobby programming under IBM
i. It takes a substantial investment:

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062810-story03.html

There was a lengthly discussion about it in the AS/400 Professionals group at
LinkedIn. Although LAMP development requires relatively little up-front
investment, it's generally a lot more expensive to RUN and SUPPORT thereafter.
Which would you rather have? Prohibitive up-front investment under IBM i? Or
Prohibitive runtime and support under LAMP?

I'm kind of counting on somebody offering micro partitions on IBM i servers for
developers, for a reasonable monthly/annual fee, to help those who may not be
ready to make a big up-front investment in their own server.

I'm thankfully in a position to invest in a development box, and also in a
position to invest in new RPG development, without needing immediate ROI. And
I'm willing to do that. We're expanding our product line, and working toward
entering into a multi-million dollar market. But it's sometimes discouraging to
be going against the grain, so to speak.

-Nathan.