I think Aaron made a good point about Java since you can program just
about anything in it (i.e., you can write both web and GUI apps in it).
Plus, it is well supported on IBM i and other platforms. If you want to go
the Microsoft route, then I'd pick C# since it is similar to other C-based
languages like Java and C++, and you can again develop both web and GUI
apps. (The Mono framework may also eventually be a possibility on IBM i.)
If you want to primarily develop (cross-platform) GUI apps, then C++ would
be a good direction to pursue. If you are interested primarily in web
development, then PHP and/or HTML, CSS and Javascript + CGI might be a
good places to start re: IBM i. If you learn the principles of OO
development, they should be applicable in various languages and
frameworks, though language syntax, etc. will be somewhat different.

In terms of measuring language viability, a good barometer is the TIOBE
index (http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html).
No measure can be 100% accurate, but it's still useful and shows that the
languages mentioned above are currently very popular. In terms of learning
resources, I've found SafariBooksOnline.com to be a good and relatively
inexpensive tool for learning (for those into reading). They have books on
just about every topic, so you can check out various technologies and see
what is a good fit without having to waste a lot of time and $$$. For C#,
I'd recommend Apress's "Pro C#" and "Pro ASP .NET" series. For Java, I'd
recommend "Java for RPG Programmers" by Coulthard and Farr and the "Core
Java" series published by Prentice Hall.

Blake