Well over this last year this has sort of happened to me in a couple of
different ways. I was hired a little over a year ago to be an "RPG"
programmer although I've had a smattering of html, Javascript, and "C"
to go with the 30 yrs of RPG.

Since being here I've worked on everything but RPG. I started out
making changes to some old Delphi code (no I didn't not have any Delphi
background I had to just learn on the go). While interesting and
powerful, it is quirky and as far as I've seen not very marketable.
Then I was off into C# and .Net and learning a Visual RPG (by ASNA)
which is more C like than RPG, but probably wouldn't qualify for this
question since it is RPG like (but definitely the most fun. I think
because it married two things I knew at little about).

I'd say the C# and .Net are going to be the most marketable and easiest
to learn, but this is given I've had some "C" background in the past.
Especially since this is leading into some SliverLight training to boot.

Now about 3 years ago this did happen to me and several other
programmers our company was bought out and we were able to get a few
classes to "help" retrain. We had chosen PL/SQL and Java. The PL/SQL
because the company that bought use out, used PL/SQL on their system.
We found that even being RPG programmers with some SQL exposure, that
the iSeries SQL had features that were lacking in PL/SQL. Since we
didn't become experts in PL/SQL , I'm sure there were some things going
the other way, but I think not many, as our instructor was surprised at
some of the things you could do in SQL on the iSeries.

As for the java, this was my umpteenth time to try and learn it. Syntax
wise it for me was like "C" in most respects, but my stumbling block
seem to be with the use of classes already defined and being able to
find those, and use as my own. I guess this my problem with getting my
RPG thinking brain around the OO world. It stretches so far then snaps
back to the what it knows best.

Don't know if this answers the question at hand, but is a couple of real
world examples I've been thru in the last few years. Take it for what
it's worth. I think a person's experience and previous background would
dictate what language would be best for them.

--Jim Lowary

I read with interest the thread about the future of RPG.

I would like to throw out a hypothetical question.

You have just been told you have 6 months left with your company as an
RPG >programmer.
As part of your severance, you can learn any language you want in that
time, >your employer will pay for any software or training costs.
BTW, this is not happening to me.

What language would you learn and why?