Comments in-line Simon.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

On Aug 3, 2010, at 8:01 AM, rpg400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Most times it works - but under some circumstances it just freezes on
X-WAIT. When this happens the RPG program does not get control
(witness debug) - there is no error message - nothing in the job log -
just nothing.

This suggests an emulator defect rather than a sub-file problem.

I presume you're using PC5250. X-WAIT is not listed in the help text
for my version of the emulator (5.7) but it suggests the emulator is
waiting for a host response (i.e., from the telnet server). It may be
that X-WAIT replaces the X-clock_symbol in my version.

Actually I'm using Mocha and TN5250J. Same problem with both.

Next question is whether this problem manifests only with this trivial
sub-file or does it show with other F-key responses?

This got me thinking and it has led me forwards (but I've had to move onto other things for the moment). It did respond to the F3 key. So I began to wonder if the volume of data in the subfile might be an issue. Tried again with debug and before the initial display restricted the number of records to 13 (down from 500). As a result I did get debug control back after an F-key was pressed. Prog steps through just fine but hangs at the point where the subfile control record is being displayed. Interestingly the main subfile display did come back and overwrite the debug screen but I couldn't get control back as the debug step functions were not active. Only F3 was active and it exited cleanly. It seems as if I may have a problem related to the volume of data in the subfile - so I guess I need to revisit the PTF levels.

Also, does it manifest on other emulators or other client systems?

Mac and PC. TN5250J and Mocha.

Anything of interest in the job log of the telnet server (QTVTELNET)
or device manager (QTVDEVICE) jobs?

Absolutely zip in both.

Anyone got a clue as to what could possibly cause this? It is running
on a V7 box which I am told is fully PTF'd.

Host might be fully PTFed but is PC5250 up to date?

Not using it but the emulators in use seem to be current.