Comments inline

Dennis Lovelady
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

On 03/08/2010, at 7:28 AM, Jon Paris wrote:

Most times it works - but under some circumstances it just freezes on
X-WAIT. When this happens the RPG program does not get control
(witness debug) - there is no error message - nothing in the job log
-
just nothing.

This suggests an emulator defect rather than a sub-file problem.

I concur.

I presume you're using PC5250. X-WAIT is not listed in the help text
for my version of the emulator (5.7) but it suggests the emulator is
waiting for a host response (i.e., from the telnet server). It may be
that X-WAIT replaces the X-clock_symbol in my version.

Yes. X-WAIT is a 3270 equivalent of Input Inhibited. Or close enough that
they may be called the same for our purposes. I've only seen X-wait on
Hummingbird and real 3270 terminals; I would be surprised if it's coming
from PC5250. (Caveat is that I've been surprised before. Recently.)

Next question is whether this problem manifests only with this trivial
sub-file or does it show with other F-key responses?

Also, does it manifest on other emulators or other client systems?

Also, does it manifest when doing straight telnet from your PC, Mac or
whatever? (Yeah, I know the keyboarding is interesting but a lot may be
learned.)

Anything of interest in the job log of the telnet server (QTVTELNET)
or device manager (QTVDEVICE) jobs?

Anyone got a clue as to what could possibly cause this? It is running
on a V7 box which I am told is fully PTF'd.

Host might be fully PTFed but is PC5250 up to date?