To: <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: Future of RPG was: Open Access for RPG Syntax

After coding in RPG for 30 years, then being introduced to other syntax (PHP
JS VB.NET)
, it is like having half the roads changed to driving down the left side of
the road instead of the right.
Easy adjustment, but switching back and forth. YIKES!!
But VB.NET kicks butt with intellisense. OO and syntax would be a nightmare
without it.
You have to drive down the left side of the road, but a chain pulls you over
there.

I just had a programmer ask for help with imaging, which is my bag here.
I used LE in the imaging.
And I had to be honest with myself and him. I said, if I talk you through
all this, you will never
use it again and forget everything I showed you, so just let me do it.
If it was doing a CALL, he could have run with it.
I know, I gave him a fish instead of giving him a fishing rod with
instructions.

But I wholeheartedly agree with Scott, that learning something brings
enjoyment to my job.
But it takes extra effort. I have to move from job to career or vocation.
Those who are Christians will know the bible verse, that we are working for
Christ not for
(fill in the blank of your company). So we are to do it with all our heart.
But you have to rise above that level of employee to a career or vocation.
I float up and down between the titles. I remember Scott saying he spends
an hour a day at home learning new
things about computers. God bless him. I am sometimes challenged by the plot
of The Andy Griffith show after
a hard day here in the trenches.

It will be interesting to see where things are at 10 or even 5 years down
the road.
But we can't sit still or our bridge will be out with no detour. (now that
is deep)

Tom Deskevich