On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Scott Klement
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Yet, with all of those great teachers (some of whom have been teaching
this stuff for 15 years or longer) the vast majority of RPG coders are
still writing code in an 1980's fashion.

At what point do you give up?

THE FUTURE OF THIS PLATFORM DEPENDS ON IMPROVING CODE.  IT'S NOT
HAPPENING.  WHAT CAN WE POSSIBLY DO?

sorry, not challenging anyone or expecting a reply, but I think this
view is far off the mark. The answer is you make the product better.
Build it and they will come. .net and c# is the guidepost of the
language and runtime framework that the system needs. Pay Anders
Heljsberg $100 million to come work for IBM. Sure ILE is a big
improvement over RPG400, but it also introduces more complexity into
the apps that use it. Anyway, whatever. The system could be so much
more functional and feature rich if IBM had invested in the platform
all these years. Not that the mainstream, IBM friendly trade pubs ever
explained it, but I think the creative spark that was the S/38 went
out when G.Glenn Henry left IBM. But I don't really know because there
has never been an insider in the community who has been willing to be
openly critical of those who run the platform. All I know is that
after ILE was introduced, nothing much else was done to improve the
system. Now the only hope for the system is that it be open sourced.
But no one wants that, so it is best to earn what you can and plan for
your next step. http://www.asp.net/mvc