To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 07/27/2010 01:46PM
Subject: Re: AW: Open Access for RPG

From: Jerry Adams
Even if one starts (like I did) by just writing RPG II/III-like programs in
a new syntax, one can then extend that by incremental steps. I like
learning/using new things.

I like learning new thing too. But how much budget does your organization
allocate to it? And what kind of ROI do they receive in return? In the case of
syntax changes alone, the ROI may even be negative.

Let's say optimistically that an organization allocates 20% of their development
budget to new applications, and 80% to maintenance, where maintenance follows
legacy syntax and design patterns, but where ILE concepts and syntax may be
applied to new applications. How long will it take to effect significant
change? That depends on the size of your system vs. the size of your
development budget. Say that given the size of your development budget that it
will take 20 years to replace the legacy system. Actually, sometime during the
next 20 years, a major shift in user interface, development languages, and
models is likely to occur. So your modernization goal becomes an ever moving
target. If that's truly the case, then why not put that 20% away in savings
each year, until you have enough to license a complete new package?

I'm not recommending; just discussing, and brainstorming.

-Nathan.