My experience so far tells me that RPG Programmers are a> lazy bunch (exceptions prove the rule).

That's - very frustrating - my experience also for the last 20 years working in RPG environments.Trying to "persuade" (which to begin with i shouldn't have to do) an RPG programmer to learn something "new" is like pulling a dead horse.
I already gave up on this, and now i'm looking for an alternative development career because the AS/400 is really the best business platform out there but the development tools/people morale etc is pathetic. There is no future anymore in this platform.
From: Mihael.Schmidt@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Open Access for RPG
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:24:42 +0000

The truth is that the major part of iSeries programmers dosn't fit in to
iNetwork, Midrange.com or whatever - they are highly skilled in their
applications and may be resonable good programmers, but is either not
aware, has no experience or has fear to join a forum amoung so called
experts that in best case gives them three lines of code (with a lot
is expected to be understod) where the actually wanted an example.

In other words, they are "holistic", programming is only a matter of
reaching the overall goal - to do their job or achive their goals.

If you look back in the EASY400GROUP, Jon, you will find that many of
my examples is based on "working examples" or actual solutions, I never
answer people with one statement of code where they have to figure the
rest out for themselves.

Join a forum/channel/newsgroup which handles some mainstream programming language and provide a working example for some trivial task/question and you'll find yourself being slapped for that. Why? Because joining a forum/channel/etc is also about learning and not just about letting other people do the work.

My experience so far tells me that RPG Programmers are a lazy bunch (exceptions prove the rule).

Mihael