From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dennis Lovelady
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:34 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Syntax error help

William, I am not in a position to request changes (current client is V5R3 and administration is hosted). But if I were, I would submit a request for change to the debugger. Since it has been proven that EVAL %VAR(xxx) is valid syntax for the EVAL statement, and since it has also been proven that some variables (such as USER and QUAL) actually NEED that %VAR() "keyword,"
it seems to me that the STRDBG action that is taken when F11 is pressed while the cursor is on a variable name should be EVAL %VAR(varname) rather than EVAL varname. Or if not always done, then it should do that for "reserved words."

Additionally, the words that the debugger has in reserve should also be well documented in an easy to find list. I personally have been unable to land on such a list.

Just a suggestion that may do the RPG world (at least) a favor.

Dennis Lovelady
"Open 24 hours. Lifeguard on duty 8AM to 8PM. Drowning absolutely prohibited."
-- Swimming pool suggestions posted at Plantation Bay Resort, Phillipines

Yes that worked. Thanks to all for your help.

William Moore
California Fine Wire
805-489-5144