From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dennis Lovelady
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 11:27 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Syntax error help

My, my! This happens even at V5R3. Lucky me: I never saw this until today.

It's not listed as a reserved word in the RPG manual, and I cannot find any reserved words mentioned in the docs for STRDBG.

Someone suggested that USER is a reserved word in SQL. I believe it's reserved in COBOL too... but so what? Curious why that should be an issue at all, but especially when debugging a non-SQL program.

Sounds like a good time to call the support vendor.

Dennis Lovelady
"People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves than by those found by others."
-- Blaise Pascal

The syntax error occurs in the debugger, not the compiler or run-time.
I threw together a simple program to test with:

D userid s 10a inz(*user)
D user s 10a
c move userid user
c user dsply
c eval *inlr = *on

Compiles and runs without error. Shows the expected result.

however, if you go into the green-screen STRDBG debugger, set a
breakpoint on the DSPLY line, and when it hits that breakpoint, type
"eval user" (without the quotes) it says:

"Syntax error occurred."

Hitting help shows that the error is CPF7E15. It doesn't provide much
of use as to why this is a syntax error, or how you are expected to
solve the problem.