>> That's not true, I use this method all the time and have never encountered a time when all the fields didn't get populated after a read.

And I had always believed that until recently when trying to resolve an issue that came up on another forum - see http://www.code400.com/forum/showthread.php/9364-Hi for the details.

But I must explore further because you have got me wondering whether there is a difference between a DS where you simply list the field names and an externally described one. It wouldn't make any sense for the compiler to do it that way but ...

>> Notice that in the DSPECS, I did not redefine how the fields are defined. So the program is using the fields from the file therefore they are being used in the program.

As I said I am very familiar with the technique - I published it years ago and teach it frequently.

>>How is the example I gave too error prone. If the field sizes are identical, there's nothing to screw up. In this example position 1 is where field 1 begins. If you try to dim incorrectly the editor will tell you that it's wrong. Also that's what testing is for.

OK - too error prone for _me_ - you manually specified the length and told the compiler to divide by 20 i.e.

D array 1 100 Dim(20)

If all the elements are the same - which of course they have to be - then a safer approach surely would be:

D array Like(Field1) Dim(20)

That way if the field definitions change it self-corrects. As far as I'm concerned testing should be a last resort - if there are coding techniques that I can use to reduce./remove the possibility of error then I prefer to use them particularly as in this case it means _less_ work (no calculation of total length needed)

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com