True. But in this case, if I understand correctly, the OP is trying to overlay a portion of the DS he can't name that isn't starting in position 1. If you specify the starting location of the overlay the underlying names don't matter but you accomplish the same thing.

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dennis Lovelady
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:12 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'
Subject: RE: Overlaying a DS Array In a LIKEREC DS

You don't need to if it starts in position 1. There may be a preference or an in-shop standard that would cause you to want to, however.

Dennis Lovelady
"Courage is walking naked through a cannibal village."
-- Leonard Louis Levinson

I think you need to specify where in the record to overlay. You can
overlay c or rec but in either case you will need to add the starting
position to your overlay definition.