A word of advice: You can say what the error was, and even on which line it
appears without cluttering the message. When asking for help, I find it's
beneficial to direct the eyes to the point of error with a hint of the
complaint, at least. But that's water over the dam.

As Simon pointed out, you are trying to do more than what Bob had suggested.

I would use Simon's suggestion with a (very) minor twist:

fafile uf e disk prefix('C.') usropn
:
d c ds likerec(rafile)
D @array S * Inz(%Addr(c))
d array ds likeds(ctlds) dim(20)
based(@array)
:
Read afile c;

The two approaches are functionally equivalent, and which version one
prefers is merely a matter of taste.

Dennis Lovelady
"Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its
grandfathers."
-- Lewis Mumford

I found a tip from Bob Cozzi which detailed how to automatically map a
DB record to a DS by using a prefix in the file declaration that was
formatted to the qualified DS. This works and can be proven that only
one move is required for the read by stepping through in DEBUG when
*NODEBUGIO is NOT used.

The code looks like:

fafile uf e disk prefix('C.') usropn
:
:
:
d c ds likerec(rafile)
:
:
Read afile c;

The file I'm using has 20 repeating groups of 5 fields (It's a 25 year
old file and no one dares change it!) in the record (rafile) which I
want to access via an array DS, but I can't work out how to do this.

All the code I've tried fails on compilation and I was hoping someone
could point me to a link, or provide an example of achieving what I
want.

The last attempt was:

d c ds likerec(rafile)
d array likeds(ctlds) dim(20)
d overlay(c.kpro1v)
*
dctlds ds qualified
d f1 25
d f2 1
d f3 1
d f4 2s 0
d f5 5

Thanks In Advance

________________

The information transmitted in this message and its attachments (if
any) is intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
The message may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action
in reliance
upon this information, by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is
prohibited.

If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete this e-mail
and associated material from any computer.

The intended recipient of this e-mail may only use, reproduce, disclose
or distribute
the information contained in this e-mail and any attached files, with
the permission
of the sender.

This message has been scanned for viruses.