Please explain what you mean when you say the cell is define as general. I
think you mean that its display format is general. If so, then that means
only that Excel will display it in its choice of formats; it has nothing
(little) to do with the content itself.

When retrieving values from cells, I have found it useful to always always
always obtain the cell type first and then retrieve the data according to
cell type. That cannot go wrong! What you *believe* is in the cells has
little to do with how Excel handles the content. Numbers look like strings
look like numbers...

Regards,
Dennis Lovelady
"I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to make
it short."
-- Blaise Pascal
.
In the worksheet I am working with, column 0 is formatted as a General
type field.
I am attempting to use the following code to retreive the contents of
that column:
Item  = %Trim(String_getBytes(HSSFCell_getStringCellValue(Cell)));
Where Item is a character field.
I am receiving the following error:
Message . . . . :   Java exception received when calling Java
method.

Cause . . . . . :   RPG procedure PROCESSSHE in program
QGPL/XL_UPDTEST
  received Java exception "java.lang.NumberFormatException: You cannot
get a
  string value from a numeric cell" when calling method
"getStringCellValue"
  with signature "()Ljava.lang.String;" in
class

"org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFCell".

Since this is defined as General, and has both numeric and character
data in it, I do not understand why I am receiving this error.