I confess,

Usually when I'm doing this I'm doing it in SQL (not embedded) with
null-able variables...

select count(*)
from mytable
where (wFld1 is NULL or myfld1 = wfld1)
or (wFld2 is NULL or myfld2 = wfld2)
or (wFl3 is NULL or myfld3 = wfld3)

Charles

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM, <Michael_Schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Personally, I like this better.

select count(*)
from mytable
where wFld1 in (' ', myfld1)
  or wFld2 in (' ', myfld2)
  or wFld3 in (' ', myfld3)

Works just the same.   I do this a lot with my host variables.

--

Michael Schutte
Admin Professional

Announcing Bob Evans Bob-B-Q® Road Trip! For a limited time, America's best
Bob-B-Q® tastes are all at Bob Evans! For more information, visit
www.bobevans.com/menu/seasonal.aspx

            Charles Wilt
            <charles.wilt@gma
            il.com>                                                    To
            Sent by:                  "RPG programming on the IBM i /
            rpg400-l-bounces@         System i" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
            midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                  Subject
            05/25/2010 01:09          Re: Quick SQL expression evaluation
            PM

            Please respond to
             RPG programming
             on the IBM i /
                System i
            <rpg400-l@midrang
                 e.com>

You don't usually need to use dynamic SQL to get the effect of a
dynamic where...

select count(*)
from mytable
where (wFld1 = ' ' or myfld1 = wfld1)