----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Wilt" <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPG programming on the IBM i / System i" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: procedure parameter names

Sure in theory Rory...

But theory breaks down when you have to debug a Plex/2E generated program.

From my understanding, at least 2E names can be followed...

The same is true with 2E programs. While a lot of fields are easily recognizable, the LCL/WRK/Neither PAR contexts end up with sequentially generated names, just like the Plex Local Group variables. Plex is wicked fun to debug though ;-)

It also matters when you want to extend past the tools capabilities to take advantage of what is available to the hand coder.

I do agree with Rory's sentiment when these situations are out of the equation though :)

I think this is quite relevent to the naming conversation. Strongly adhered standards DO help greatly. Sure, for the non-initiated, Plex and 2E RPG Code can appear to be horrific. BUT, because they both do adhere to strong standards (because it is generated code), they are actually quite easy to get along with, and this would be the same whichever site you go to. Not quite so with hand coded applications where every site is different (ok, maybe not every, but you surely get my point).

Naming standard do matter...

Crispin.