Yes, others tend to disagree. Take an editor that supports content assist/auto completion and you end up typing even less => be more productive.

Mihael

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rory Hewitt
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:58 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: [SPAM 1]procedure parameter names

David,

It's a boolean situations: If these are standards that you *can't* change,
then as you say, you have to live with it. If these are standards that you *
can* change, then just change them. I'm not sure what you're asking us...

Quick suggestion - use the A or An prefix for stand-alone fields and
data-structures, but not for data-structure subfields. That way at least,
you would get 'AMonPrcNomIn.ElpNm', so you'd have statements like (to use
your example):

AnElpNm = AMonPrcNomIn.ElpNm;

Personally, I still tend to use (up to 3) combinations of 3-character
multiples for variable names, e.g. RtnVal, RtnDtaLen, ElmNbr etc. Very
comprehensible (IMNSHO) and easier to write than ReturnValue,
ReturnDataLength, ElementNumber. But that's because I still use SEU and I
don't like to extend expressions over multiple lines where possible. Others
may (will!) disagree.

Rory

p.s. "What a cop out. I was counting on you, Simon."... Do you *really* want
Simon to stamp all over your code/feelings? Because he will! Those Aussies,
y'know - very blunt :)