Aahh, you are on to something. I seems to recall now that the CPYTOIMPF
command (Very useful but very buggy command) uses sql behind the scene
to do the work. And indeed, right after the insert statement, I use the
CPYTOIMPF to copy it to the IFS: Here is the complete code for that
sub-routine:

//--------------------------------------------------------------
// copy the EMAILMSG member to a temporary note file in IFS
begsr cpyEmailMsgMbrToNoteFileInIFS;

//create a temp work file, QTEMP/SVRMLTMP, to house the message
exec sql
drop table QTEMP/SVEMLTMP;
exec sql
create table QTEMP/SVEMLTMP
(TEXT VARCHAR (1000 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT);

//copy the EMAILMSG member to a temp work file
myCmd = 'OVRDBF FILE(EMAILMSG) TOFILE(EMAILMSG) MBR(' +
%trim(piMbr) + ') OVRSCOPE(*CALLLVL)';
qcmdexc(myCmd :%len(%trimr(myCmd)));
exec sql insert into QTEMP/SVEMLTMP
select rtrim(SRCDTA) FROM EMAILMSG;

//using CPYTOIMPF to copy the data to IFS
myCmd = 'CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(QTEMP/SVEMLTMP) ' +
'TOSTMF(''/tmp/' + myNoteFile + ''') ' +
'MBROPT(*REPLACE) RCDDLM(*LF) STRDLM(*NONE) ' +
'STRESCCHR(*NONE) RMVBLANK(*TRAILING)';
qcmdexc(myCmd :%len(%trimr(myCmd)));

endsr;