hi Bill,

On 5/11/2010 12:46 PM, Bill Greenfield wrote:
I wanted to use the signal api's to just sort of fire after
approximately every 10 or 20 minutes to interrupt this 'idle' program
to examine the 'unavailable' flag.

I'm not sure that this will work. After all, a signal is sent to a JOB, not to a program. So as long as your code runs in the same job with other things (including IBM supplied ones) there's a good chance that the other things will interfere -- unless your program is the one doing the active processing at all times, of course.

(Though, it might interest you to know that there's an API called setitimer() that will send SIGALRM at a regular interval without the need to keep calling alarm() over and over -- won't help you in this case, but it might be interesting to know.)

Sorry for the looooooong response. I hope you did not have a sudden urge
to reach for a cup of coffee for a wake-me-up.

Nah. I don't drink coffee, so I reached for a diet coke :)

I am not sure if my intent is clear here Scott. But thanks for
spending the time to review my issue.

Crystal clear.

But, I wonder if it'd be simpler to just call the stored procedure again with a special parameter telling it to unload?

Or to end the QZDASOINIT prestart jobs with the ENDPJ command to clear all of the programs out of memory, and then start them again with STRPJ?

That'd be much simpler. Plus it's more efficient to issue those commands once every month than it is to check a flag every 10 seconds.