I have posted (http://code.midrange.com/b02a1eddae.html) a procedure that I
use in my standard error handling routine. This routine arguably solves the
issue that messages sent from service programs do not give indication of the
program that caused the failure. I have my own issues with such a
requirement, especially when the message will be sent from a separate
procedure anyway. As soon as you enter another procedure, you are opening
yourself up to the possibility that that procedure will someday be moved to
a service program. Besides, it is a dubious benefit to know what Program
failed when you still have no clue what procedure failed within that
program.

As a middle ground, my showCallStack() procedure will return, complete with
line numbers, information about the call stack at the time the procedure is
called. So, I have in my standard error handling routine a line that says:

failPoint = showCallStack(0: 2: *Off), and the returned information is
sent to the joblog as a diagnostic message. No, you won't get the from/to
program and line number in your F9=AdditionalInformation display, but you
will have that stuff in the job log along with detail than i5OS doesn't
provide.

There's also a tester program there to demonstrate sort of how it works.
But (I noticed after posting) the LUVBNDDIR stuff will have to be removed
and/or replaced with your own. (Bind it your way, in other words.)

I hope some can make use of the routine.

Dennis E. Lovelady
AIM/Skype: delovelady MSN: fastcounter@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/dennislovelady>
www.linkedin.com/in/dennislovelady --
"That was Benes' fifth strikeout of the day. He came in with 94, so now he
has 104 strikeouts for the year."
- sportscaster Ralph Kiner