"*RNF3733 An array cannot overlay another array; keyword OVERLAY is
ignored."

BTW, I am using a DS for input:

ddsothr ds
d othTicket# 1 7s 0
d othDate 8 13s 0
d othCust# 14 18s 0
d othTotal 19 25s 2
d othComment 26 50
d othNSF 51 51
d othGroup# 52 56s 0

d othGL 7p 0 DIM(30)

Then create a 120 alpha field, and have both arrays overlay THAT.
...or overlay the data structure itself in starting in position 47.
...or use from/to notation.
...or use pointers.

Hardly a show-stopper.

Agreed. For this situation, I usually just overlay the DS itself. Depends
on what you're after (you lose some flexibility) but you might like:
d othGL 7p 0 DIM(30) Overlay(dsothr: 57)
d othGL_alpha 4 Dim(30) Overlay(dsothr: 57)

Dennis Lovelady
"The unfortunate thing about this world is that good habits are so much
easier to give up than bad ones."
-- Somerset Maugham